UseModWiki is a wiki engine developed from 1999 to 2000 by Clifford Adams in the Perl programming language. It is licensed under the GNU General Public License. Pages in UseModWiki are stored in ordinary files, not in a relational database.
Clifford Adams started developing UseModWiki in 1999 for his 1991-to-1999 Usenet Moderation Project (Usemod) from the code of AtisWiki 0.3 by Markus Denker. AtisWiki was based on CvWiki by Peter Merel. CvWiki was based on the wiki engine of the WikiWikiWeb by Ward Cunningham.
Web sites using UseModWikiEdit
The first wiki to use UseModWiki's test versions was Clifford Adams's own usemod.com wiki, which had been running on AtisWiki since October 11, 1999. The second wiki to use UseModWiki, the MeatballWiki created by Adams and Sunir Shah and dedicated to online communities, was also installed on that same usemod.com Web site on April 24, 2000.
UseModWiki is probably the most popular wiki software (in terms of number of wikis rather than total number of edits) despite the fact that it has few features. This is due to the relatively little computing power required (as compared to other wiki implementations such as TWiki or MediaWiki) and its ease of installation.
- Jan 22, 2000: Version 0.7 created.
- Jun 18, 2000: Version 0.8 released.
- Jul 15, 2000: Version 0.82 released.
- Aug 26, 2000: Version 0.86 released.
- Oct 12, 2000: Version 0.88 released
- Dec 24, 2000: Version 0.90 was released
- Feb 16, 2001: Version 0.91 released
- Apr 21, 2001: Version 0.92 released
- Sep 12, 2003: Version 1.0 released
Wiki engines derived from UseModWikiEdit
Among the wiki engines derived from UseModWiki are: